Sunday, September 9, 2012

Track Racing!

Very quick photo post and recap of the Trexlertown collegiate track race:

Note the change of cycling kit from Pitt to Yale!


I wasn't expecting to be in great form today given that I have had the flu for the past three days. However, I woke up this morning feeling less awful. So, that was a good start.

Speaking of starts, here's a neat photo series that one of the race organizers got of me getting set up for a 2km individual pursuit race:


Bracing for the gun! And, we're off! First pedal stroke is the hardest. I need to practice throwing my weight forward more forcefully.

Picking up speed, out of the saddle. But, not too fast, since I have to pace it for 6 laps.

In the scratch race (a simple-concept mass start type race where the first person over the line at the end wins), I managed to get away with one other guy in a break off the front with 6 laps to go. Sadly, I got caught by the pack and trounced with one to go, taking 6th place - just outside of points. It's always easier after the fact to think that I could have done better, forced myself to push through more hurt. But, it's something to build on! Hurt more and don't get caught!

An experienced track racer said of it, "You can't win unless you are willing to risk losing".

All in all, it was a fun day. I learned things, saw some cool dudes I know from the collegiate road season, and am looking forward to more collegiate track racing next weekend in New Hampshire.

No comments:

Post a Comment