Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I survived the TSA

Ok, so this is a bit off topic, but I thought I'd mention that I did successfully make my way through the TSA in Pittsburgh, JFK, and Prague a couple of weeks ago when I flew to a scientific meeting.

I was TERRIFIED of being hassled, or inappropriately searched, due to my ostomy or the kit (including scissors and adhesive, paste, etc) in my carry on backpack. But... they were more interested in scanning my laptop than me!

This was my first major expedition since surgery, and honestly the idea of being in a foreign land with a very different food and alphabet, was a bit intimidating.  (What would the plumbing be like!? What if I had an issue with my supplies?!) Over the past nearly two years, dealing with my ostomy and dietary restrictions had become effortless and mundane. But, take away a refridgerator and personal, well-stocked bathroom cabinet, and that's a different story!

Or, is it? It turns out that it isn't a big deal at all.

Worldwide, food is still food. Most places have yogurt, or bread, or rice, if you can't eat anything else. And, importantly, clean, running water is still clean, running water... even if the fixtures look funny to you.

Now that I've done it once, I feel much more confident about my next big trip! Actually, I realized all of this and felt much more confident by my second day.

Just for the heck of it, here are some photos of what I was up to when I wasn't at the meeting:


An beautiful little chapel found off a trail through the park neighboring the palace. Yes, it really was this picturesque almost everywhere.

I climbed a very very tall tower to get this view... if I were a monk, this tower is where I would spend my time reading.

Fantastic graffiti found on a hike.

this sign could mean.... anything!

Another view in the other direction, with the zoom on max to try to capture the Charles bridge.




A view from one of the far city limits that I hiked to after the conference.


ps - I should note that I did bring a physician's note stating the medical necessity of my scissors, paste and adhesive on the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment